The Licensed Trade Charity work closely with Shelter, and through this relationship we are able to support workers from the licensed trade who have problems with housing, from preventing eviction to housing register applications.

Shelter aims to help millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through their advice, support and legal services. This can be face-to-face, online or via phone call.

Shelter are not only trying to battle current day issues, but they are campaigning to prevent these issues continuing in to the future. Their service is open Monday – Friday from 9am – 8pm and Saturdays between 9am – 12:30pm.

They can offer specific Covid-19 Housing Advice through their housing advice pages


Phone our helpline and we will discuss your housing situation with you. If you have worked in the licensed drink trade for 5 years or longer and face complex housing situation we will discuss referring you to Shelter Helpline Plus. You will be allocated a named housing advisor who will liaise with you over the phone and via e-mails to offer specialist housing advice. Shelter advisors can also liaise with other agencies and landlords on your behalf.